Saturday, August 09, 2008

Humanity

This week has seen my faith in humanity take a beating. The senseless killing of an Albertan on a greyhound bus compounded with the release of a ad campaign by PETA relating this tragedy with the slaughter of animals compounded with the Westboro Baptist Church's activism against Canada by the picket of the funeral of the unfortunately departed Albertan. I find myself wondering how humans can take such stances without any thought to the nature of their actions and the toll it will take upon the family and community of the deceased. Why and how are decisions like this made? Is there no sound mind apart of the decision process? Is the world so twisted and so skewed that this is somehow alright by even a minority?

My initial response was to go and picket the picketers, but after some thought I came to the conclusion that it in fact would be counter productive. To react would be exactly the response desired, and the distaste I felt would be mirrored in those involved in the original protest.

My week usually finds an event or a person that revives my view of a fallen humanity. Sadly this week ends on a sour note as the events have deeply shaken my soul. I now am on a search to find an enriching event or person that can bring my soul back to a positive light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home