Monday, December 25, 2006

Home

On this day of Christ's birth I stop to take a moment to reflect on where I sit and what makes this place special to me. I sit in Kamloops, in my parents house. A house where I spent my high school years and a place that I still call home. As I rolled into Kamloops a few days ago, the city did not feel like home as it once did. It was odd to know that the place where I spent so many of my formative years no longer felt like home. But really what is home? I feel like the townhouse where I live in Calgary is home, but if I did not live with such glorious people would it feel such home-ish? I think that my parents house feels like home due to how safe I feel here, and how I know that within these 4 walls there are people who I love and care about, and who love and care about me. It is a wonderful feeling to enter such a wonderful sanctuary of coziness, if even for a couple of days a year. I also love home due to the excellent food. There never is a moment when I wonder if there is something for me in the fridge, if I need something I am sure that I can find it either in the freezer downstairs or in the pantry in the kitchen. What is more comforting then having grilled cheese and tomato soup on Sunday afternoon? I can think of nothing. It is also a pleasure to sit and spend around 4 hours opening presents in front of a blazing fire, to then have a BLT and go back for more family QT. As much as home is in Kamloops, I find myself drawn to the Townhouse in Calgary as I know that there too are 3 dudes who care about what I have to say, and about what I do. The difference between Kamloops and Calgary is comforting in two totally different ways. I know that my family will care for me always, and I know that my roommates are there for me too. I am amazed by how content I feel with my living and family situations. They are both some of my favorite things. And soon I get to enjoy my most favorite meal of the year, Turkey and Fixings. Nothing makes my mouth water like a good bird filled with stuffing and Cranberry sauce and gravy. So that's all, take some time to ponder your version of Home, and enjoy it to it's fullest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home