Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Roadtrips

This past weekend marked the first roadtrip in Gertrude. Gertrude is my car. It makes noises like a duck and in the spirit of naming things after other things, there is a duck in the film adaptation of the classic Jules Verne novel "Journey to the Center of the Earth". And also one time a girl suggested that I name it Gertrude, so I did. Anyways this road trip was born out of a few reasons. Firstly it was to carry me and my passengers Matt Russell and Connie Neumiller to the wedding of Jacob Kokura. Incidentally I also was the wedding photographer for Jacob. Which makes it a weekend of firsts. So I took the photographs on Saturday, and then Gertrude carried us north to Westlockertonville, where there lives Jon and Kim Kramer as well as The Neumillers. It was a lovely trip and we were greeted at the house of the Neumillers with Turkey and Stuffing and Gravy and Yams and Potatoes. Then Matt and I retired to the Kramer household for tea and conversation. In the morning we went to Church and then were treated again to a delicious lunch and great conversation. The afternoon provided us some time to check out Westlockertonvilleurbia and the new House that Jon and Kim have purchased. It is a great house with a huge yard, and massive mature trees. Then for dinner we had leftover turkey and then Matt and I hit the road. The trip back was also great. Shared some laughs, some coffee, and some music. Basically the weekend was great, then I had to work at 6:30am on Monday morning.

After the story of the great roadtrip let me tell you a few reasons why Roadtrips are one of my favorite things. For starters they allow you the ability to get out town, to see something new and to enjoy people in a deeper and richer fashion. Second they allow the roadtripers much free food. When you visit people it is natural for you to not pay for any food over the visit since you came to visit them. You would repay the kindness if they ever wanted to stay with you. Thirdly roadtrips allow the testing of the vehicle. For example I found out that Gertrude may need a little work since when I arrived home there was steam pouring out of her and I think that there were some heat issues, and perhaps the inability to not removed the heat from the engine. (she's going in for service on Thursday). And third this roadtrip made me money, I took photographs at a wedding. So there you have it, random thoughts on roadtrips. Enjoy.

2 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your car has a name - it just wouldn't do if she didn't. Glad you are enjoying the joys of having your own wheels. How did the wedding photos go? Love Mom

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger mennoknight said...

The road trip is one of life's most simple pleasures. They're also one of the best times for pure male bonding, singing along to Hemorrhoy Rogers and eating road tacos.

Can I see some of the wedding pictures? Not like we're considering anyone else, but maybe if they're good enough you can just photoshop our heads on?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home