Monday, May 08, 2006

Bubble Tea

Today after slaving for 7.5 hours for the Man, also known as Darren, I went to the world famous Calgary Chinatown. Now imagine if you will a chubby white male making his way through the small hallways of Asian buildings. I thought it was pretty funny myself. I was challenged yesterday by good friend Whitney Saip to go and have some bubble tea since where she lives it is in short supply. Side note, I find that hard to believe since she lives in a place called The Lower Mainland, where things of the bubble tea and Asian nature abundant. So my large frame and I went for a stroll into the heart of Chinatown. I was feeling rather chubby today since all those around me were roughly half my weight and half my girth. My brother had suggested a place to try for bubble tea since I had always liked this other place, but since he has an Asian g/f I don't argue with his taste in bubble tea. I found this place after much trying and was stopped at the door by the line that went from inside to outside the store. Thankfully another whitey was already in the store, but she was more then a little white trash so was clearly there out of obligation rather then genuine interest (granted that was a blanket statement, but try to imagine someone named Billy Joe drinking bubble tea). Side Note#2: Bubble tea = blended fresh fruit, ice, and pearls (tapioca balls which are black and look so very odd, but in the end the texture is beautiful). I finally got to order and clearly was white since I ordered in English and then awkwardly moved to the side to let some others out. It was also awkward due to the fact that I was wearing a backpack. Then I got my drink and left to catch the bus home. Side note#3: This place seals the top of the bubble tea so that none of the glorious juices escape enroute to the destination. Since it was sealed I decided to wait to open it and open it during my walk home from a bus a few stops away from the one closest to my house. I got off the bus and proceeded to walk through the Cemetery and enjoy the quiet and contemplative nature that the headstones held, as well as enjoy my delicious and nutritious drink while toasting SAIP, and enjoying the texture of the tapioca. In reality, bubble tea is one of my favorite things, I do enjoy it a little more with friends and the shinanagins that ensue with small balls of tapioca, but bubble tea alone is also great. And so with that I offer Bubble Tea as one of my favorite things.

2 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 updates in a row! How exciting!!
Ira, as soon as we return home from BC we will for sure have to have you over for some dinner and lovely, chimay. But as for the moment, we leave tomorrow for the glorious event that is to be Rachel Jahner's wedding. Talk to you soon,
Becky B

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger mennoknight said...

I am glad you updated your blog. Our invitations are going out in the next couple weeks, email me your new address ok plz thx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home