Sunday, January 01, 2006

"All is quiet on New Year's Day"

I just stepped off the elevator after visiting a friend a few floors below. Now usually the ride on the elevator is decent and harmless, but today the ride was almost unbearable. Well pretty much the only thing that was wrong was that the elevator smelled like a strange mix of body odour, pork sausages, and something from asia that I couldent really put my finger on. Anyways the smell is still with me and I am tempted to go and shower. So last night was the big night, when all the calenders changed and 2006 began. I find that New Years is an overrated holiday for the most part. Its great to get together with friends and share a special moment, however, if that special moment is then followed quicky by the desire to sleep and then the beeping of an alarm in the morning then I find that the holiday lost its zing. Yesterday eve I worked until 11ish and then ambled home to join some friend a few floors up for some celebration. We listened to music and they played that game where you flick small disc's of wood into the center of the board. Then as Midnight approached we decided to venture out to the balcony only to find that it was rather chilly and then came back inside to wait out the remaining half an hour. When midnight hit I poped the cork on a delicious, but inexpensive bottle of Italian sparkling. It was quite a good beggining to the year. Then we watched the office and I went to bed. This morning I was rudely awoken by my alarm clock and the fact that I had to work at 8:45. So I walked to work this fine morning, it was a beautiful morning for a walk so I found it pleasent. However I felt as though the world had ended and I was walking the streets alone. It was so quiet, and when I say quiet I mean the only noise was the few trains that happened to glide along the rails empty except for a few poor souls like me heading to work. The first few blocks of walking were surreal to be exact. Then as I approached the building I work in I noticed a rather large line of people standing outside the doors to the Bay, and I found this odd. On second glance I think that there was something free being given away to the first however many people in the store, marketing at it's finest. Then I went to work, it was the same as before, except so so slow, which was good since today I posted a personal best for the call average. Anyways thats about it, and right now outside my window all I can hear is cars honking their horns, what a strange, sometimes smelly, and sometimes annoying city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home