Sunday, June 04, 2006

BBQs

Though this story happened a few days ago I will still relate it since BBQs are one of my favorite things, and so are free things so they work hand in hand.

I have wanted a BBQ of my own for about 22 years. Granted my parents always had one so that was never a problem to have some burgs or some chicken or steak. But ever since moving away from home I have been burdened with the desire to cook steak above a flame right outside my back door. I have succeeded only for one summer, but that wasn't my own BBQ. This summer marked a threshold in my desire for said cooking utensil. I finally decided that it was time to buy my own. I looked in the buy and sell and found a few that looked alright, but alas Gertrude is small and would not fit a BBQ in the back seat, or in the front seat for that matter. It was looking futile, but I found the help of friend and truck owner Kevin. He agreed to assist me in my acquisition of both a BBQ and freezer. A few days later I was at the monument to consumerism called Walmart and was pressured by a few friends to buy a reasonable BBQ at a reasonable price. I felt good about it since I would soon be enjoying flavor-full BBQ meats from my butcher, that's correct I have a butcher, they are called Master Meats. Anyways, so the day after I got my BBQ, without the help of friend Kevin I was walking home from my car and had to hurry so I took a shorter route, but a less scenic route. I then came across a BBQ and tank sitting by the Garbage can out near my home. I ran through the rain home and grabbed my roommate Kier, and we dragged the BBQ up to my patio and then I went and got the tank and took it to get filled. $10.54 later I had a full tank of propane and was in business. Now what to do with the BBQ that I had just bought? Nothing like taking something back to Walmart, they really have no problem with taking it back, as long as you have a receipt and a nice smile. I had both so it worked out well. I have used my BBQ, named Q (like the Document in Adventures in Odyssey or real life, or like the character off of James Bond films), for many meals since I found her, and it has been alright, the heat is not distributed correctly, but it is quite pleasant due the fact that I found it. I added some bricks and bought a brush to spruce her up a bit.

But why are BBQs one of my favorite things? Other then being pretty manly, and down to earth, its great to cook food over a fire, much like our ancestors did before the invention of electricity and microwaves. BBQs also provide me with a quick, easy, and healthy meal since there is no oil involved and neither is there any rich sauces, other then BBQ sauce. On a side note there are kids playing outside my window and though they may be having fun, I think they are hacking the bushes that border on the Cemetery. So there you have it: free BBQs + good beef + propane + match = favorite thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home