Tuesday, September 15, 2009

1:03:18

This past Sunday I had signed up for a 10km footrace in Canmore. Due to work schedules and the Prarie Regional Barista Championship I was unable to rock the race. I did however MapMyRun.com and then Sunday night ran the 10km on my own. I was really hoping to be under 1 hour, but my unofficial Casio time for 10kmish was 1:03:18. After a few days of thinking I think that it is a respectable time, and it gives me the chance to still achieve my original goal of under an hour. I felt pretty good after the run, insanely tired but knowing I had given it my all. Yesterday was a whole different story. I felt like I was sick, achy all over, all I wanted to do was eat food and stay inside, so I did. Today I feel a lot better, even if my legs still feel like they are jello when I kneel down, or squat to pick something up. The goal for the next little while is working on my speed and my power. If I can get my speed in a 5 km race up then it will translate to the full 10km range. I foresee stairs and hills in my future.
It felt really good to know that my body is capable of such a feat. Near the end I was feeling no pain and even started singing out loud to myself. Good thing I was running at 8pm instead of with the early morning lulu crowd, I would have been shunned for sure.

4 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger Tjosie said...

All of my calgary friends are becoming health freaks. Good work man.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Attaboy!
Sounds like you're in better shape than me at this point. It's been almost a year since I've been doing any serious cardio.
Thinking of starting a "couch to 5k" program though... or something.
How'd you get going?
Especially without a lulu outfit...

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger T.I.Houghton said...

Tjos, health just feels so good.
Jon, I bought expensive shoes and they taunt me when I don't use them. I also got mildly addicted to the endorphins released during a workout. It feels so good at about the 5km mark. Just get out there and run, you will love it.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Ian Elford said...

I've definitely joined the fitness club over the last year or so; last summer I did three triathlons. Even though it can take up a fair bit of time, I find it essential for my overall wellbeing, and for my concentration at school. Glad to hear this is something you're doing, too!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home