Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Seasonal Spirituality

As this season of the year approaches it is time for some preparation. I have given up things in the past for Lent, things that I knew I needed to limit or take some time off of, things that are not necessarily bad, but things I knew I would benefit if I slowed down and took some time away. This year is no exception. I have been thinking a great deal about seasons the last little while. Seasons with coffee, seasons with food, seasons of life. This season of Lent shall see a more concentrated effort towards a liturgical spirituality as well as becoming more in tune with what I am putting into my body. My friend, and local legend, Tim Ross takes things upon himself for Lent as his act of seasonal spirituality. I will do much the same, and take upon the mantle of vegan for the duration of Lent. I am giving something up, but also taking on a title worn with pride by many. I don't really eat a lot of meat and other such foodstuffs, but I really love milk, and I really love yogurt, and I really love honey, and I really love eggs, and I really really really love cheese. I have no issue with the ethical problems some vegans do, I don't feel the need to picket butcher shops, I simply want to know what the lifestyle is like, to challenge myself in a new and exciting way, and by doing so enjoy the adventure and to follow an older and more liturgical Christian tradition. I continue to think long and hard about the role of seasons in life, and Lent is no different. Calgary usually warms up a bit by Easter, and though the first weeks will be hard, the longer days and warmer temps will push me to finish well. Today, in preparation for many weeks of animal free eating, I made almond milk, and will try it with my granola on the morrow. I am pretty excited about the adventure the next season of life will bring.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Tjosie said...

Thats bold! Very interesting indeed. I have a vegan friend here and she seems very healthy. Right now shes doing only raw foods, crazy , crazy stuff. Keep me updated with how things go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home