Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

Earlier today I went to an Ash Wednesday Mass at a local cathedral. It was an interesting experience since I have been to only a handful of Masses in my life and am still unsure of what to do where, when to stand, when to sit, when to say things. You know, it's a new experience. The other thing that got me was the homily and the scripture readings. It focused on the reasons behind Lent, and the long standing biblical tradition of fasting and prayer. It also got me to thinking about my own experience. I came into this season knowing very little of what was in store for me, and really looking forward to the experience. I also knew that I wanted to write about it, and have friends and family experience the struggles and triumphs with me. There was a little pride in the fact that I was doing something pretty out of the ordinary, and I revel in the fact that I am particular in my tastes and in my own life. I would like to say that I will be as humble as possible during these next weeks and months, but wouldn't really be that humble would it. So I leave this intro with the plan to share my life, my thoughts, my wins, my losses, and my soul. Enjoy.

Since Lent started today I have spent the last few days eating up a storm, wearing a ton of wool, and drinking beer. I also recently acquired a meat grinder from the VnV boutique and really wanted to make burgers from scratch. This past weekend I got some great chuck roast, and some pork shoulder and ground some meat. Then I made and ate burgs. It was wonderful.





Tuesday morning dawned, and it was the start of Shrove Tuesday or Mardi Gras or Pancake Tuesday. In the past I have celebrated this wholesomely floured day with my good friends The Buhlers, but sadly since they live in a much warmer clime I ate pancakes by myself with bacon and honey and eggs.


Tuesday ended with me scrambling to consume all the animal consumables left in my fridge by the stroke of midnight. I ended my assault with an epic French cheese titled Beaufort. It was breathtaking. Fruity, salty, warming everything one needs in a last cheese.


I awoke this morning and ventured to Mass. It was wonderfully liturgical. Then I made vegan risotto and it tasted good. So far no major wins or losses, granted it's been 16 hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home