Friday, August 05, 2005

Etiquette

Now I am not an expert on what is kosher and what is a blatent disregard for human dignity, but when there is an elevator stopping on your floor, it is natural to allow a period of time for the person on the elevator to get off before you get on. However, it seems as though there are many people in the fair city of Calgary who do not like to follow this simple piece of decent human behaviour. As a member of the thriving community of Calgary, I take the elevator almost every day, in fact I sometimes take many more times then once. I also take the C-Train, which is also prone to impatient Calgarians. Today I was reminded of how this behaviour greatly distresses me. As I exited the elevator this morning, on my way to Office Depot, I had to side step around those eager to get into the elevator. Not only did I have to side step around one of them, I had to step the other way in order to avoid the onslaught of more rushing humans. As I walked I remembered all the times that I have encountered such actions. Riding the C-Train is no easy task, especially during the hours of rush. I would be riding the train, and attempt to get off and those on the platform would push to get into the car thus making it difficult to get out the door and to my destination. At times I even had to push my way out, which is not too pleasent in any situation, but during the hours of rush there are cell phones, briefcases, tired businessmen, sweaty construction workers, and young children comming home from school. When we would go to chapel, during the semester, I remember our reminder to each other to have "C-Train Etiquette" and allow those on board to disembark and thus make room for us. Sometimes I wish that people would take some time and allow those inside to make room so that they could board without incident, and also that they would just relax and not worry that the elevator ride will be 5 seconds longer because they waited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home