Sunday, January 23, 2005

Fondue and Hockey

Imagine yourself back in the 1970's when the popular means of gathering were over a pot of steaming cheese, oil or chocolate. This eve I went back in time, like Marty McFly, and ate a fondue of the Chocolate variety. It was quit keen and since much fruit was eaten I beat scurvey for another week. Did I mention that I am also sick? Also tomorrow I will attend another Fondue party at a different house with all three types of Fondue. I feel like listening to the "BeeGees" and getting groovy in the spirit of the 70's. Aside from all the funk and disco I also attended a Hockey Match this eve. This match was between bitter rivals "United" and "Rocky". These games usually end in battle to the death between the sides, but for a few moments in the first period I imagined a nice clean game which would remain tied so that no feelings would be hurt. This was not to be. Late in the third period with "Rocky" up by 6 points and "United" falling slowly behind in both points and drive, a "Rocky" player proceeded to "cross-check" a "United" player who was rising from his knees. This act incited other acts of violence to the point were fists were flying and players were hitting the ice. It was most violent and disturbing since I have friends on the "United" team and was hoping that they were not getting hurt. "United" put up a good fight, but in the end there was not enough time to make up the deficit. Many players fought as hard as they could under the circumstances, but were rewarded with a large "L" in the score book. It makes me quite angry when players feel the need to resort to cheap and foolish plays in order to assert dominance over another team. Had the game ended cleaner I would have left the arena in a much better mood and feeling more love for "Rocky", but when players make unnessary plays and/or violence I cannot stand idly by. At one point I even quoted M.Schalin in saying "I humbly disagee with your call", this comment directed directly at the Referee, who seemed to be favoring "Rocky" in some of his calls. Did I mention that I am sick? And with such sickness I must retire to the comfort of my bed, with lots of sheets, and lots of layers, and lots of springyness, and lots of general comfort. I bid you farewell and glorious Late Night readings.

1 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Shaolin said...

Although i feel unsure about your use of my quote in the context of a united hockey game (usually reserved for football aka soccer matches) i appreciate that through you my legend lives on at CBC...i mean AUC...i mean NUC....i mean Greg Needham...i mean ass...uh...anyway, props to you, this was one of the best blogs you have ever done..good work, and i hope you gain a more resiliant spirit then the united hockey team so that you can defeat your greatest enemy...sickness....ps. did you try your two dollar DJ toy yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home